How to Help:
Providing financial assistance is the most effective way to support the evacuees, including pets and animals. The public is encouraged to donate through the following organizations:
- National Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster (NVOAD)
- American Red Cross
- Salvation Army
- Los Angeles County Animal Care Foundation
Be aware of scammers, and consider the following:
- Be cautious of requests for donations by unfamiliar organizations or people.
- Beware of unsolicited contacts and appeals on social media sites. Some leading relief charities now accept donations via cell phone, but unsolicited text messages, like unsolicited telephone and email communications, should be viewed with suspicion and handled with caution.
- Crowd-funding and other types of internet-giving can be tools of tremendous good, but as with any type of giving it can be abused, so proceed with caution when donating online.